Monday 22 December 2014

Vestibular stimulation- Sensory Processing Disorder




A while ago I wrote a blog about sensory processing disorder and some of the effects it has on my daughter. Today I wanted to share a bit more about what I have been doing to support her with her sensory problems.
A month ago, after having a sensory diet for my daughter completed, I decided to turn the toy room, that is never used, into a sensory room. I started by cleaning the space out. We have one side of our cupboard with shelves and the other side with hanging space. We turned the hanging side into a little cubby house with pillows, blankets and a weighted lap blanket. She also puts in lots of teddies and dolls when she gets in. This place has been great as it is a quiet, small space that she can use to self regulate if need be. She gets herself in there and shuts the door and I don't even realise she is in there sometimes until I call out and she answers. So yes I can now say that I put my daughter in the cupboard, lol.
The second thing I did was make a lycra tube which she can put on in the cupboard when she wants to. So easy to make and offers pressure if she is seeking. 
Today though I finally completed my daughters Christmas present and she has been in it for two hours straight and just loves it. It is a lycra swing that hangs from the ceiling. It can be hung from two, three or four attachment points. As a hammock it provides vestibular input, with increased deep pressure providing a calming effect. The three or four-point hookup increases the challenge by allowing my daughter to climb through the layers. Or, it can provide a calming tent-like space. This swing is great for developing body awareness and addressing motor planning skills. And I must say it is a hit! My daughter LOVES IT. 
I have a few other things I plan to do for the sensory room in the near future. The aim is to hopefully allow my daughter to self calm through using the sensory room rather than the Need to chew or consume food. I will keep you informed of her progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment