Monday 10 June 2013

Science Integrated unit

I love to integrate units in my learning program. There is just not enough time to teach in isolation and also by integrating units, students have the opportunity to transfer knowledge across curriculum areas. The most recent unit I have designed and given to my Grade 5 students is called 'Ocean's Alive' and it is a science intgrated unit focusing on an understanding that living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment. The unit is handed to students as a learning contract where depending on the level of thinking involved in the activity more points are rewarded and depending on points students at the end of the unit are rewarded with an A-E. It follows the philisopical thinking of Ralph Pirozzo. The unit integrates Bloom’s Taxonomy and Multiple Intelligences. It provides for the thinking skills and learning styles of all my students. It is an engaging, exciting and challenging learning environment for all my students.The best thing is it helps improve independency and time management in my students. If you would like to check out the unit head over to Teachers Pay Teachers and preview it. I also have a picture of half of the unit provided in my blog. I hope it inspires some of you out there to get on board with the importance of catering for all students through student learning styles and Blooms Taxonomy. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Mrs-Mundays-Memoirs

No comments:

Post a Comment